We provide information and education to youth, parents and caregivers, and adult community members about substance use and consequences of substance use.
We also work to increase participation, education, and awareness of issues regarding prescription medication, safe use, storage and disposal, and promote prescription drug take-back efforts in the region.
What We Do:
- Conduct the Community Survey on adult community members’ perceptions on youth substance use in Bennington
- Conduct the Core Measures Survey as a supplement to the Youth Risk Behavior Survey
- Partner with local schools to support substance use prevention curriculum and provide technical assistance to middle and high school prevention and leadership teams
- Serve on the Shires Prescription Drug Alliance and support take-back initiatives at local police departments and pharmacies in the region
- Serve on the Bennington County Opioid Response Team and Youth Subcommittee
What YOU Can Do:
- Do you want to collaborate with other community members to increase wellness for Southshire residents? Learn more about becoming a member of our community coalition. All are welcome!
- Talk to youth about the risks of substance use. Parents, caregivers, and other caring adults play an important role in preventing youth substance use. Need help starting the conversation? We’ve got resources for you.
- “Do Your Part” to safely store and dispose of prescription medications. Find prescription drop-off locations in Bennington County and beyond, or learn more about Vermont’s prescription drug disposal system.
- Support members of the community who have substance use disorder by using person-first and stigma-free language. Learn more about words to avoid and words to use in their place.